Everything you need to plug into the Zebras Unite Co-Op and start getting the most out of your membership and contribute to the co-op. Have a question? Reach out to Director of Cooperative Membership Kate "Sassy" Sassoon at firstname.lastname@example.org!
👩🔧 UNDER CONSTRUCTION - Status Updates (May 2022)
- Rolling New Membership Process is OPEN! Send your Affiliate Members - or sign up yourself - if y’all need a refresh!
- Did you sign up as an Organization? Please check that all your Affiliate Members are signed up, and in the community etc - We are discovering some bugs in our current integrations, and want to be extra sure no one is missed here! Not sure? Reach out!
Set yourself up as a member of Zebras Unite Co-Op
📅 Get subscribed to the Members Only Google Calendar (ask Ostella for help!)
📝 Fill out your Onboarding Survey to get us your profile information - and for Small Teams & Small Businesses, to get your Team Members signed up as well!
Find, build or deploy capital that aligns with your principles
💸 Curious about how we are building the right Capital Connections for Co-op Members? Register for an upcoming monthly ZU Capital: Updates & Opportunities for Co-op Members conversation (held monthly, in 2 timezones) or peruse the recordings of past updates here!
✋ Want to contribute to the Capital Innovation work being done in the Capital Circle (and have it count toward your Patronage?) Raise your hand here!
3 Pathways for ZU Member Capital Access
- The Matching Ecosystem for Funders & Founders
- This includes the work the Capital Circle is doing on building that better direct matching ecosystem, as well as the work to connect Founders with our Partner Crowdfunding Platforms.
- Priority Access to our Capital Innovation Partners and their Programs
- ZU Members get streamlined, discounted, customized access to our Partners who work on Capital Education and Access.
- See your Member Perks for more details!
- Regular Members Only Education + Microconsulting
- This includes workshops, advising hours, and other creative support opportunities (like the “Non-Dilutive Capital” Workshop + Office Hours slots with Founding Member Camille Nisich we held in November 2021). And more to come!
💫 Have ideas for more pathways we can support you in finding capital? Let us know!
Get more involved in the co-op-erations
💪 Got skills you want to offer up? Fill out our Talent Buffet form!
🦓 Want to join the Dazzle District (ie “Staff”)? We are hiring!
Connect with your community
☕ Join our monthly Co-op Member Coffeehouses on Tuesdays at 5:30pm PT and Thursdays at 9am PT with Director of Co-op Membership Kate "Sassy" Sassoon - see your Member’s Only Calendar and the Events in the Co-op Group for details!
🍀 Join our Meet + Greet with Managing Director Mara Zepeda (on pause until August!)
Discover member perks & benefits
💫 Have an idea for a Member Benefit? Let us know!
Join - or Start - a Member Circle!
What are Circles? Circles are action-oriented groups of Zebras who see a need or envision a mutualistic project and step up to make it happen. Circles are the structure of our collective movement building work.
How to Start a Member Led Circle:
- Pitch your Circle idea to at least 3 other Members to gather reflections and hone your Purpose - and find out if there’s already a Circle for it!
- Propose your Circle via this form - and standby for support from Kate "Sassy" Sassoon!
Member Led Circles Currently Spinning Up - and How to Join!
NEW RESOURCE Circles Shared Resources Message Board
Resources for Group Governance
All of our Circles are experiments in small group co-governance - and luckily there are a lot of resources out there for how to do that well! Here are a few:
Community Rule Circles Definition: Community Rule is a governance toolkit for great communities, and this is their definition of “Circles” which we have incorporated into the design of ZU’s Circles.
AORTA (Anti-Oppression Resource & Training Alliance): AORTA is a worker-owned cooperative of facilitators and strategists devoted to helping our movements renew a stronger sense of liberatory vision, values, and purpose. This is their (currently being revamped) resources page - more info for group facilitation is coming soon!
DAWI (Democracy At Work Institute) Democratic Management Guide - The Democracy at Work Institute advances the worker cooperative field in order to create a fairer economy and better jobs, and this is an amazing comprehensive guide from their School of Management on how to Manage a Team Democratically.
Sociocracy For All’s Organizational Structure - Sociocracy For All (SoFA) is a 501c3 nonprofit that collaborates globally to support organizations and communities make their decisions with equity, empowerment, trust and transparency; and this is a great description of the Organizational Structure of Sociocracy, which we also drew heavily on in designing our Operational Structures at ZU.
The Decider App - Nobl is a consulting group that focuses on improving change making organizations, in part by focusing on how decisions get made - and this is a super easy app + menu of decision making structures that guides you through what flavors of decision making might be right for your situation (most healthy co-governed groups have a primary way they make decisions, and then a few special options for different circumstances that they develop criteria for over time to be adaptable and resilient!)
Menu of Decision Making Processes we’re trying out at Zebras Unite!
- Consensus Everyone agrees
- Democratic - Voting with defined thresholds for majority rule
- Consent - Absence of objections
- Consultative - Decision made with input from others
- Delegate - Someone given authority to make particular decisions